Maryland

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Carriep
      Participant

I’m just getting started on my investigation into starting a foot care business for performing foot care in the clients home. I’ve not been able to locate any references to Foot care in my state practice at, BON, or Dept. of Health.  Can someone guide me on where to look, if Maryland allows nurses to perform do I need to obtain any permit or authorization from the state to perform these services, and do I need to have oversight from a podiatrist? Or, do I just set up my LLC AND START ADVERTISING ONCE I GET MY CERT AND COMPLETE?? It’s frustrating how unclear all of this is.

Carrie,

Welcome to our wonderful family of FCNs (Foot Care Nurses).  Here are a couple of suggestions for issues raised in your post.

1.  Look in the Members Directory for other FCNs in Maryland.  I see 4 nurses in private foot care practice in Maryland.  I’m sure they will be glad to take you “under their wings”!  There are plenty of feet to work on in Maryland.  No competition needed (or allowed!!)
      2. I haven’t looked at the Maryland BON specifically, most nursing boards have a general statement in their Scope of Practice Statements.  They don’t specifically address foot care.  (Although some do now).  Most have a general statement something like this:  “To determine if a skill is within the scope of practice it must: a) not be surgery; b) must have been taught in the original nursing training; c) or the nurse can document specialized training to perform the tasks/procedures.”  So think about PICC lines.  Working with PICC lines isn’t taught in school. But if you have taken special classes to become safe and proficient, it is then in your cope of practice.
      3. So since foot care is not usually taught in nursing training, you must be able to show that you have been appropriately trained to perform routine foot care. You do not need to be certified unless an employer requires it. But certification is one way to document your training in order to satisfy the scope of practice requirements.
      4. There are two organizations offering Nationally recognized foot care certifications.  AFCNA.org and WOCNCB.org.

I hope this helps.  But the best help will be your colleagues there in Maryland.  I hope that you will reach out to them!!

Welcome again,

Dr. Julia

Dr. Julia
      Julia Overstreet, DPM, FAPWCA

Carriep
      Participant

Thank you very much for your reply, I do not see a link on the site for a member directory. Is it on a different website?

It’s on:  AFCNA.org.

You have to be a member to access the member’s directory.  But it’s free to join!

Dr. Julia
      Julia Overstreet, DPM, FAPWCA

Carriep
      Participant

i was able to find it, I searched “find a foot care nurse near me” and a link to your find a provider feature came up. I found all of their contact info and I will definitely be reaching out to them! Thank you again for such a thorough and helpful reply!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.